Thursday, August 7, 2008

Losing out on zzzz's

I'm trying to figure out why in the last several weeks I've had trouble sleeping early. I do know that sometime in the past, this has already happened to me. I can't quite remember what triggered it the first time and why it seems to be happening again now.

So I read up on insomnia. Because it's useless to deny that I am part insomniac. I can't sleep earlier than 1 am, sometimes even when I'm dead tired. Often I finally shut off much later than 1 am.

Could be hormones. My menstrual cycle has been a cause of some worry because it's not as regular as it should be. At the time I expect my monthly period, it'll start but not run the full course, which is usually 5 days. Well, it says that hormones, especially when it precedes the menstrual period might cause insomnia. So that's something to consider.

Stress. I've been under a lot of it in the last couple of weeks. Even during times when I thought my life was stress-free it probably wasn't. But there have been a lot of things to worry about in the past couple of months (and I have the white hairs to prove it!) so it must be contributing to the restlessness I feel, which results in my not getting sleep when I need it.

Or it could be that my mind and imagination, prone to over-activity, is acting up. It refuses to shut down even when I am so tired, ergo, I can't sleep. I can't even set my alarm for some early morning appointment because I usually end up waking every hour waiting for the alarm to sound off!

And finally, there is the internet which keeps me so hooked that it must be raising my mental alertness more than necessary, preventing me from resting for the day.

I need to work out a plan to combat this disorder, because having a history of anemia, insomnia is definitely not good for me.


No comments: