Thursday, September 4, 2008

With or Without Atypia?

That is the question.

In 2005, an endometrial biopsy showed I had simple hyperplasia with atypia. That was also sometime in August of that year. Earlier in January, I had bled profusely and my hemoglobin count really dropped. The first OB-Gyne I saw did not really say what was possibly wrong, except that she prescribed hormonal pills to regulate my menstruation.

In August, my period had extended to almost two weeks and it was horrible because I was almost peeing blood. I was having difficulty breathing because there wasn't enough oxygen due to the blood loss. I had to go to the emergency room of a hospital. I was discharged but a day or two later, I did collapse and had to be rushed back to the hospital.

My new OB-Gyne decided to do a D & C with biopsy to determine what was really wrong with me. The result: Simple hyperplasia with atypia.

Hyperplasia is simply a thickening of the uterine lining. That's why the blooding would not stop. Normally, this can be treated with hormone therapy. What aggravated it was the phrase "with atypia." Atypia is a cell abnormality, and most likely pre-cancerous. I was out on hormonal therapy and for the next two years, my period was regulated.

Until April this year when I noticed my menstruation became irregular. I would bleed for one or two days, giving me the impression I was having my period. But this would stop abruptly. Then I would menstruate a few weeks later like nothing was wrong. Finally, I went for a check-up and doctor decided I needed another endometrial biopsy to see if my condition remained the same.

She'd given me an overview: If it ends up I only have simple hyperplasia without atypia, I would be on therapy. But if it is with atypia, she wants to have a hysterectomy. Unless I plan on having a baby, she does not want to risk my having cancer because of it. Besides, I could end up bleeding like crazy again, in which case it would be better to have it removed.

I'll know the results on Monday and I do hope things won't be as bad.

No comments: